Feedback Thoughts

When I hear the word feedback, a lot of things run through my mind. I like to think I take criticism very well- that is until I am criticized and that goes straight out the window. When I was younger it was hard for me to do rough drafts of papers or do peer-reviewed assignments because I'm a perfectionist and if it isn't my best the first time, it's not gonna be that great the second. I had to work a lot on it and realize it's not a personal attack, people are just trying to help me succeed. So maybe the rough draft wasn't the best it could be, but the final one would be!

Some articles I found useful were Why Rejection Hurts So Much and A Fixed Mindset Could Be Holding You Back. Rejection is the hardest thing to take because if you have even a sliver of self doubt it elevates it even more. Why am I not good enough? Is this paper the worst thing they've ever read? You start asking yourself a million questions all because ONE person said no. That's all it takes for you to question yourself and your worth, why is that? Our brains are just wired that way. It's as simple as that. In order to stop letting rejection get to you, you have to learn how to pick yourself up and realize that one person's no is another person's yes. If you stop because one person says no, you'll never make it to the yes. 

It also goes back to what we learned earlier in week one, a growth mindset. If you have a fixed mindset you are going to stay stagnant wherever you're at. It's like when everyone gets participation trophies or you're told how smart you are no matter what, you stay complacent. A fixed mindset is when you think intelligence or talent is "fixed" and you either have it or you don't. It holds you back because you think you're intelligent anyway and don't have to work on it or work at it. It's just a given. In order to take feedback and learn from it, you need a growth mindset.


Comments